White Night With Kids (Yes, it's possible!)
White Night is one of my favourite events on the calendar! I've braved the crowds and crazy every year for it and love the amazing things that pop up each time. The first year I was one of those people who thought it would be a great idea to jump off at Flinders Street Station with a pram at 7pm. Don't be that person, that person doesn't get far. There are some much better ways to White Night with the little ones.
First Option- Head Out
Not all the White Night action is in the CBD but most of the crowds are. The city baths, RMIT and the Melbourne Museum all have spectacular stuff planned and will be easier to navigate.
Second Option- Set The Alarm
White Night goes until 7am which means you can skip the initial rush and just go in early and still see the same stuff. This is a fantastic option with kids because it's VERY quiet in those wee hours and you even get a sunrise over the city. Yes, it means getting them up EARLY but if there was ever a reason to do it this is it!
1. Make a plan. The full itinerary is on the White Night website so have a look and decide what are your must sees.
2. If you are going in the morning take food, not much is open.
3. Public transport will be running 24hrs but will be seriously congested from 7pm-11pm if past years are anything to go by so don't expect to fit a pram on a tram. The CBD is shut down to all but pedestrians so tram routes will be altered.
4. If you just want a one stop White Night experience to give the kids a taste of the event the NGV and Arts Centre is a good spot. This year there are projections on the outside of the NGV and other attractions inside.
5. Go with it. It's all a bit mad and the kids will probably be wild with excitement and/or tiredness but it can be a really amazing night!
White Night will be happening Saturday the 18th February from 7pm-7am at various locations throughout the city. Entry is free and accessibility will vary from location to location. For more details check out www.whitenightmelbourne.com.au