Get in the Picture!
These school holidays I set myself a challenge to get in a photo each day with one or both of the kids. I am a shocker for being absent in photographs because I love taking them.
It's been a fun challenge that I'd recommend anyone try. Sometimes it's tricky to figure out how to get it done and my two weeks were a mixture of asking strangers, self timer, selfie, husband-as-tripod and Mini grabbing the phone. I don't have a tripod, a remote or anything fancy but you don't need those things either.
It made me drop the perfectionist nonsense quick smart. Hair not done? Not dressed up? Framed differently than you would have? Doesn't matter. Snap.
The best part was that it made me more involved in whatever we were doing! Instead of stepping back trying to get a great shot of the kids I was in there climbing, painting, baking, hitting the arcade... Things I may have otherwise just supervised. I'm telling you, supervising is WAY overrated.
Tips to try the Get in the Picture Challenge:
1. Play around with the self timer. Almost all phones and cameras have them. Phone cases that flip open work well as a stabilizer or you can improvise with whatever is around.
2. Whenever someone offers to take your photo say yes! It's not like you're wasting film here!
3. Don't be afraid to ask people to take a photo for you.
4. Older kids love the opportunity to click away. Give them a chance to take some shots.
5. Set the challenge when you know you will have the time to do it and choose an achievable time frame. Two weeks over school holidays was perfect for me.